Licences and Permissions

There are legal requirements associated with the use of assets and the equipment associated with them. Although individual users of assets may need licences and permissions themselves, building owners and managers will also need them to fulfil their duties of care.

Some of the most common are permissions for:

Playing recorded music (including paying a radio)
Having live entertainment or performances
Supplying and Serving food
Supplying and selling alcohol

Other related activities for fundraising etc may also need licences:

Gambling (Bingo, gaming machines etc)
Street Collections

Some social enterprises that are not based on using the building as the main business but on running an associated business operation such as wood production, energy generation, etc may also need other licences relevant to that business sector. These need to be checked in every case as they are vey industry specific.

Asset owners need to protect their own and others’ interests when they make an asset available for use. Their exact responsibilities will depend on the nature of the asset, but it is important to manage the expectations of users and to be clear about the terms on which their use is made possible. This will need to be done via formal agreements which may take the form of a lease, licence or hire agreement (which may also be accompanied by Rules of Hire) for users. What kind of agreement is entered into will be determined by the nature of the asset, the legal structure of the organisation managing/owning it and the conditions under which they are allowed to make it available to others given their own interest in the asset (e.g. lease terms for the freeholder).

In addition some assets may require that service charges in addition to rent/hire charges need to be agreed with users which will also be the subject of formal agreement.